Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Welcome to Bear Canyon Good Eats!!

Hi Everyone!

And WELCOME to Bear Canyon Good Eats! This will be a place for all Bear Canyon Friends (& friends of Bear Canyon Friends) for recipes, photos, cooking tips, cooking trials, cooking successes, other fun food sites and anything related to FOOD!

If you aren't familiar with blogs I can help you out. Just let me know.

This blogs will be open for viewing by anyone (that means ANYONE) so be respectful and if you have a recipe from someone else just use their first name only. This is for safety. If you put a photo or even talk about a recipe, please give us the recipe or the link to the recipe. You know people will want it!

I'll be the "administrator" but if you would like to contribute and be an "author" (that means post messages and photos not just comments) please contact me if I haven't contacted you already.
If you have never seen a blog and would like to cruise around in one here's another food blog that I have with my 3 sisters and sister-in-law. Wild Mountain Foods. (There's a link under "Yummy Eats" to the left of this page)

SO, I'll start off with some successes and some failures:



This was the turkey that we made last year for Thanksgiving. Isn't it pretty? And it tasted sooo good! I used a recipe from Alton Brown from the Food Network show Good Eats. Which I LOVE and that's why this blog is called Bear Canyon Good Eats. CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO RECIPE. I put it in a brine the night before (a salt water solution. Note: the difference between a brine and a marinade is that a marinade might have vinegar and or oil whereas a brine has salt and water and maybe some other things but not vinegar or oil). You cook it first at 500 degrees (yes, that's right!) for 30 minutes then roast it at a lower temp. A friend who had some of this turkey said it was the best she's had. What a compliment!

Okay, so this doesn't look like a failure, right? Well, this was the SECOND time I made it. It's a yummy raspberry almond coffee cake. This first time I made it I tried to get it out of the bunt pan to early, before it had cooled completely. So as I was tipping the pan over the cake plopped out it one big raspberry almond cake PILE!. A totally disaster! It did taste great but such a MESS. Good thing it wasn't for some special event or party. CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE. Funny thing: For many years, my mom never had coffee cake because she thought it had coffee in it and we don't drink coffee. Man, did she miss out! There's no coffee in coffee cake!
This is one of my favorite pizzas mostly because it's sooooo easy!! It's called a Margarita Pizza. (no Margarita in this :) ). It's a pizza crust (bought or homemade) with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, Parmesan cheese (if you like), and salt and pepper. That is so easy!!!! I love it!! Note: the cheapest basil I have seen (besides Sara giving me some from her garden) is at Trader Joes.

Okay, so I'm long winded, but most of you knew that! :) You certainly don't have to write this much but we would love all the tips and recipes and good experiences (and even bad experiences) you have to offer!

Can't wait to see what you post!
Kathy

0 comments: