Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gwen's Creamy Lemon Chicken

This dish is thanks to a good friend of mine that I don't get to see very much, Gwen. I LOVE IT and HER! Creamy Lemon Chicken. I made it again this week and I really do think it's one of my favorite dishes! Gwen was a friend of Scott's before I came along. In fact, she set Scott and I up on our first date. I remember this dinner she made for us at her condo before Scott and I had kids. She even gave me my first citric zester. Thanks, Gwen for this fabulous lemonly goodness!

Gwen's Creamy Lemon Chicken
6 chicken breast
salt and pepper
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
2 T. 7 up
2 t. lemon zest
2 T. lemon juice
½ t. salt & pepper each
1 c. heavy cream
6 pads of butter
Parmesan Cheese

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat butter and oil and saute chicken till cooked through. Remove chicken and put in a glass oven-safe dish. In a small bowl, stir together 7up, lemon juice and lemon zest then add this to the skillet and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. (The 7up lifts up all the yummy chicken bits from the bottom of the skillet.) To skillet, slowly add salt, pepper and cream stirring vigorously. Pour this sauce over chicken and place a pad a butter on each chicken breast. Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place under broiler for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Serve chicken with sauce and over rice.


I'm on my third baby and I just figured out how great homemade baby food is! And easy! And putting and freezing them into little cubes in ice trays makes it even easier. Shown below is apple sauce and a puree of sweet potatoes and broccoli. I loved the real flavor and Sam even wanted to eat some!
I have a fondness for Argentina and would love to learn how to make empanadas they are famous for. I tried last week and they are cute and pretty but the crust wasn't great. To chewy and tough. This is one of my goals this year: to make a perfect (okay, not perfect but a good) empanada crust. This recipe called for too much kneading. I need to look for a better recipe with less kneading, just like a pie crust, right? Those of you who are good at pie crusts, less touching is better, right? Help me out.

0 comments: