Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chicken Soup with Dumplings

Last night I decided to try a new recipe and for some reason Chicken and Dumplings have been on my mind. I have never made dumplings before and was happy with a recipe that I found in my Lion House Cookbook. I just finished eating the leftovers 5 minutes ago. It's a yummy, hearty meal...great for a chilly day.


Chicken Soup with Dumplings
  • Meat From 1 Chicken Cooked and Shredded
  • 1 large Onion Diced
  • ½ stalk Celery Diced
  • 2 Carrots Diced
  • 4-6 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 cup fresh cut Green beans
  • 1 cup Pearl Barley if you like
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp Thyme if you have Thyme
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Method:

In a small amount of cooking oil sweat the onion, carrots and celery. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the barley is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add spoon sized balls of dumpling dough and simmer until dumplings rise.

Dumplings
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Milk
  • ½ cup Butter
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Nutmeg
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 3 Eggs
Method:

Bring the milk and butter to a boil, add salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat and immediately add flour stirring until dough leaves the sides of the pan. Incorporate the eggs one at a time forming sticky dough.

2 comments:

Cecy said...

These look GREAT! I love dumplings but I've never made them, maybe now I will! Thanks!

Jocelyn said...

This looks like a great recipe. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!!