Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Holy Guacamole

Having lived here for 20% of my life, I feel shamed that I have yet to start liking chiles and ordering them on things like hamburgers and fries. However, I am a huge fan of guacamole. I have studied the excellent table-side guacamole makers at both the restaurant at La Fonda in SF and Gabriel's, north of there, and came up with this recipe, which I really love. I am a believer in putting the avocados (once they are ripe) in the fridge, since colder ones taste better. Also I am not a huge fan of hot or spicy items, so you can add extra jalapenos, garlic or onion, depending on what you like. Anyhow, here is my guacamole recipe that sort of makes me feel like a native:

1 small tomato or half a large tomato, diced
1/4 an onion, or one small shallot onion, diced
1/2 a jalapeno, diced
1-2 garlic cloves, roasted on the stove
salt and pepper
juice from half a lime
2 small- to medium-sized avocados
tortilla chips

Put the first five ingredients in a bowl together.
Mash the avocados in a different bowl with the lime (in order to have at its freshest!). Mix the ingredients together and enjoy!

0 comments: