Sunday, June 22, 2008

A BBQ Recipe

Hi Bear Canyon friends! I am finally contributing a recipe to this blog, thanks Kathy for setting it up. In response to Kristine's BBQ post, I am sharing a recipe that I recently got from a friend. It is a little more time consuming than throwing a burger on the grill but well worth the effort if you have time. Enjoy!

GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN WITH MANGO SALSA

Grilled Pork Tenderloin
1.5 Tbsp table salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 pork tenderloins (1.5-2 lbs total), trimmed of silver skin

Spice Rub
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp orange zest (1 orange)
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp orange marmalade
1 Tbsp olive oil
Dissolve the salt and sugar in 4 cups cold water in a medium bowl. Add the tenderloins, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 1 hour. Remove the tenderloins from the brine, rinse well, and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Set aside. Discard brine.

Preheat grill on high, about 15 minutes. Rub the tenderloin with the spice rub. Place the tenderloins on heated grill. With lid down, brown tenderloins on all four sides, about 3 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium, cover with aluminum roasting pan and cook another 10-15 minutes until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin registers 145 degrees or the meat is only slightly pink when cut. Remove to platter or cutting board, cover with roasting pan and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving with mango salsa (below).

Mango Salsa
2 medium mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 medium red onion, minced
2 scallions, sliced thin
1/2 medium jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded (if desired), and minced
1 Tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime)
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl with an airtight seal. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to 4 days).

4 comments:

Kristine said...

Cecy, thanks for the recipe. I think you are one of the top 5 cooks on this blog. I will try anything you suggest...I trust you that much. Also, I can't wait for you to return to ABQ next summer so I can eat your good food at parties! (Assuming I'm even invited to them!) I hope all is well.
K

Kathy said...

that looks sooo yummy, Cecy! I love Mango salsa. I have used it in fish tacos that were really good. I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks!

Kristine said...

It was delish....I loved it! Derek loved it! Tony and Lucynthia loved it too! I felt like a gourmet chef...such a fancy meal!
Thanks,
K

Cecy said...

I'm so glad you liked it Kristine. You are a gourmet chef!!! Happy cooking!