Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blueberry Muffins


I just bought some yummy blueberries and made some of my favorite muffins. The recipe isn't from me and I LOVE them. They are from dianasdesserts.com. I guess the coarse sugar on top makes them irresistible. I don't always have the orange zest so sometimes that's out and I also make 11 muffins out of this instead of 12 so they're nice and big. So good! I also bake them for slightly less time that 20 minutes. But it's really an easy recipe. I finished them before my oven's pre-heat bell rang.

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz./113g) melted butter (no substitutes)
1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
Coarse sugar (optional) (from Kathy: really not an option. You MUST have this on top! :))
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin pan cups. Set aside.

2. Stir together flour, the 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.

3. Combine eggs, milk, butter, and orange peel; add all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in blueberries.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each almost full. If desired, sprinkle tops with coarse sugar. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffin cups on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups.

Makes 12 muffins.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Submitted By: Erica
Date: May 11, 2005


2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Kathy,

I love these muffins. I love the flavor of the blueberries and orange together, and the crunchy sugar on the top. (I really like orange zest in almost anything, such as french toast, frosting on sugar cookies, in cookies, in dinner rolls, etc.)

Maria said...

This is our new favorite muffin recipe. Rachel makes them all the time.